Peter Esam joined BESTrustees in November 2016.
His previous experience includes leadership roles in the public sector and a major City law firm, as well as academic research. Peter retired earlier in 2016 from the partnership at Travers Smith, where he developed a thriving practice advising on all legal matters relating to pension schemes.
Peter was a partner for 15 years in Travers Smith’s highly successful pensions practice. He advised sponsoring employers and trustees of large and complex pension schemes.
He was the adviser to his clients on a wide variety of matters such as:
- Scheme funding matters
- The investment of scheme assets and trustees’ duties
- Member disputes
- Dealings with the Pensions Regulator and the Pension Protection Fund
- Insolvencies and winding-up pension schemes
- Securing pension scheme liabilities
- Proceedings before the Pension Regulator’s Determinations Panel and in Court, taking a case successfully to the Supreme Court
- Governance issues
- Effective communication with members
Peter was formerly Chair of the Legislation and Parliamentary Committee of the Society of Pension Professionals and is a Fellow of the Pensions Management Institute.